Pre-K Application Information
Las solicitudes de Pre-K para las Escuelas de la Ciudad de Thomasville, estarán disponibles para recoger y devolver, de Lunes a Viernes de 8 am a 2 pm, entre las fechas del 4 de Mayo al 4 de Junio. Las solicitudes se pueden obtener en la oficina principal de Thomasville Primary School ubicada en 915 East Sunrise Avenue, Thomasville o también puede comunicarse y devolver las solicitudes completas al Smart Start del condado de Davidson ubicado en 306 US-64 HWY, Lexington, NC 27292. Se les puede contactar en este número de teléfono 336-242-6688. El personal de Pre-K estará disponible en la Escuela Primaria Thomasville durante estos días y horarios para ayudar a las familias a completar las solicitudes, hacer copias de los documentos de respaldo (es decir, certificados de nacimiento, 2 comprobantes de residencia, verificación de ingresos) y responder preguntas. Una vez que se complete el proceso de solicitud, las Escuelas de la Ciudad de Thomasville notificarán a las familias para informarles sobre futuras fechas de evaluación.
Preschool Enrollment Requirements
Children must meet the following criteria to be enrolled in the preschool program:
- Become 4 years old on or before Aug. 31st.
- Live in the Thomasville City School District
- Meet qualifications under NC-PREK guidelines, Title One or Exceptional Children’s laws and procedures.
- Have a birth certificate, health assessment, immunizations and proof of residence completed and on file by Sept. 30th.
Classroom Activities and Curriculum
The preschool program at Thomasville Primary uses the Creative Curriculum, which aligns with Foundations: NC Early Learning Standards. Our philosophy is based on Developmentally Appropriate Practices for preschool children. This includes an emphasis on all areas of development:
- LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT – Students will improve expressive and receptive language skills.
- COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT – Students will be exposed to math, literacy and writing concepts.
- SOCIAL/EMOTIONAL SKILLS – Students learn how to interact appropriately in a variety of learning centers as they share and play cooperatively with peers.
- PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT – Students will improve gross and fine motor skills in a variety of movement activities.
Opportunities for family members to participate at school include:
- Classroom visits-to volunteer or observe
- Eating lunch with your child
- Attend school events such as P.T.A., Family Fun Night, the Book Fair, Multicultural Night
- Parent/Teacher conferences
The Preschool Special Needs Service Delivery1. The Preschool Special Needs Classroom, located at Thomasville Primary School, is a component of the Exceptional Children’s Program designed for students ages 3-5 with special needs. The students follow a preschool curriculum based on the NC Foundations for Early Learning and Development, according to their Individualized Education Plans (IEP’s). This developmentally appropriate curriculum capitalizes on the child’s current capabilities, and modifies activities by providing materials and tasks that increase in complexity as the child gains new understanding and skills. A multi-sensory approach to instruction is utilized in the classroom setting with the use of visual, auditory, kinesthetic, and tactile stimulation techniques. Health related services such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech/language therapy are provided as well. Special transportation is provided by Thomasville City Schools when determined necessary by the IEP team for the student to access their education.
Preschool operates on a school day schedule which is 7:30 a.m. – 2:05 p.m. Your child will be considered tardy at 7:30 a.m. Children may arrive at 7:05 a.m. and go to the gym until 7:15 a.m
The Preschool Special Needs Program These services include the following:
- Speech and/or Developmental Therapy sessions
- Resource materials
- Consultations with Families, teachers, and child care providers
All services are at no cost to the parents.