EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION PROCEDURES
NC EDUCATION CORPS
NCEC was launched in September 2020 by the North Carolina State Board of Education and OFfice of the Governor to connect caring adults to students to eliminate barriers to opportunity and accelerate learning. Now as an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit, NCEC partners with schools to recruit, educate and support "corps members" who work for schools as high-impact tutors.
For more information and to begin the application process please visit the NCEC site.
HIGHLY QUALIFIED STATUS
Teacher Assistants or paraprofessionals (any classified staff member who works directly with students) who work in a school that receives Title I (Federal) funds must meet additional requirements.
To be hired, these individuals must either:
- complete 48 hours of college credit
- have an associate degree
- complete WorkKeys assessment demonstrating competency in reading, writing and math. After earning passing scores, the employee may begin working.
- Over the course of the first two years in the position the employee must complete 96 continuing education hours in reading, writing and math strategies.
- It is the responsibility of the employee to submit proof of continuing education hours (CEUs) to Human Resources within the academic year that they were earned.
VERIFICATION OF EMPLOYMENT FOR SALARY PLACEMENT
Thomasville City Schools may give salary credit for documented years of prior experience for employees who are not licensed through the NC Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI). Prior experience must be relevant to your position with our school system. In order to be considered for this, your previous employer(s) must complete the TCS Verification of Employment for Salary Placement form. A separate form must be completed for each position and/or place of employment.
Employees licensed through the NC Department of Public Instruction must complete and submit the appropriate forms to NCDPI to request experience credit. A member of the TCS Human Resources Department can assist with this process.
Thomasville City Schools substitute teachers are an important part of our educating children. When teachers are out of the classroom due to professional growth and development or other factors, our students deserve the continuity of instruction. Our substitutes carry on that instruction as the teacher.
Currently, substitute teachers must have the following requirements:
- At least a high school diploma.
- Forty-eight (48) semester hours of post high school work is preferred; however, it is not required.